Saturday, March 3, 2018

Blog Reflection

Exploring education and early childhood based websites with a global perspective has enriched my professional development in many ways. Prior to these experiences I had not often thought much about education practices outside of own state or my own country. Reading about practices and successes outside my personal bubble has been so enjoyable, enlightening, and truly humbling. I have been made to recognize any “problems” with our local schools are minor in comparison to so many more impoverished areas. For example, when looking at a school report about Mexican schools and seeing the ratio of books to children is only 2:1, I cannot help but feel sad (UNICEF, 2009). Reading about Kakenya’s story from near child bride to accomplished doctor of education returning to her home village in Africa to operate a school that educates and uplifts her community, I cannot help but feel inspired (Kakenya’s Dream, 2016). I have also learned that many countries are dealing with exactly the same issues and trends as we are here in the United States. One of the first ways I chose to connect with professionals from around the world was to seek and join Facebook pages for Early Childhood professionals in other countries. Having followed these pages for several weeks now I have seen many questions and comments regarding professional training requirements, aiding impoverished children, curriculum concerns, providing quality, as well as the need to allow children to learn through play and to educate the masses on the importance of this. I am overjoyed to see that while we have much room for improvement, we are not alone in our never ending quest to best prepare children for the future.
One goal I would like to propose is that we all continue to share what we have learned from around the world and from our coursework. That we continue to be examples of and advocates for what is research proven to be beneficial; that we not allow the daily drag of business and policies stop us from doing that which we know to be best practice for children.

References:
Kakenya’s Dream. (2016). Kakenya’s Story. Retrieved from: https://www.kakenyasdream.org/kakenyas-story/
UNICEF. (2009). Country Report Mexico. Study on Poverty and Disparities in Childhood. Retrieved from:https://www.unicef.org/socialpolicy/files/Mexico_ChildPovertyandDisparitiesReport(1).pdf

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your goal and hope to continue sharing as well. I hope that long after we graduate we continue to help as advocates and also help the students that come through Walden University after us. Have you joined the Walden Ed Facebook page?

    ReplyDelete