Saturday, January 20, 2018

Web Resource- Diversity

One of the organizations that I chose to follow is NAEYC.org. This organization, the National Association for Education of Young Children (NAEYC), states their purpose as to “promote high-quality early learning for all young children, birth through age 8, by connecting early childhood practice, policy, and research. We advance a diverse, dynamic early childhood profession and support all who care for, educate, and work on behalf of young children.” (2017). I have enjoyed browsing the many resources available for free. Honestly, when I find something I cannot access for free through the site (as I am not yet a paid member), I have used the Walden library to find the article. As my time with Walden is just a few more months, and I have enjoyed these resources, I am considering becoming a paid member in the future.

For this week’s topic of diversity, I found a page within the site promoting a book the NAEYC has published titled “Anti-Bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves.” While the book is not available to browse for free, there were several articles with excerpts from the book, available for free on the site. I have shared all of the links below. The first link is an overview of the book, not enough detail to understand the concept though. The second link is much more informative. One aspect I really appreciated was about finding an “entry point” to start discussions/lessons. Specifically, that if something comes up spontaneously, and you do not feel prepared to handle it well, you can return to it later knowing that the issue had come across children’s minds (Kuh, Leekeenan, Given, Beneke, 2016). There are also many great classroom examples of what entry points or teaching moments look like within an early childhood classroom. I think this link is a great starting point to understand the Anti-Bias approach and how to incorporate teaching social justice within a classroom of young children. The third link is great for more information on taking this approach within a program. It also details an interesting approach to handling conflicts when dealing with the difficult subjects brought up when focusing on diversity & bias. The fourth link provides some alternative perspectives for incorporating holidays within an education program. I appreciated reading that there are other programs who are bothered by the materialism and false messages of many holidays.

Anti-Bias Education Links on NAEYC in the order I accessed and referred to them.
NAEYC. (2017a). Anti-Bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves. NAEYC.org. Retrieved from: https://www.naeyc.org/resources/topics/anti-bias-education/overview
KUH, L., LEEKEENAN, D., GIVEN, H., BENEKE, M. (2016). Moving Beyond Anti-Bias Activities: Supporting the Development of Anti-Bias Practices.  Young Children. Retrieved from: https://www.naeyc.org/resources/pubs/yc/mar2016/moving-beyond-anti-bias-activities
LOUISE DERMAN-SPARKS, DEBBIE LEEKEENAN, JOHN NIMMO. (2015). Building Anti-Bias Early Childhood Programs: The Role of the Leader.  Young Children. Retrieved from: https://www.naeyc.org/resources/pubs/yc/may2015/building-anti-bias-programs
NAEYC. (2017b). Anti-Bias Education: Holidays. NAEYC.org. Retrieved from:  https://www.naeyc.org/resources/topics/anti-bias-education/holidays


4 comments:

  1. NAEYC has been my go to source for developmentally appropriate practices since I began teaching. Are you a member of NAEYC? Did you know that if you are you get a 10% discount on tuition at Walden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea Carmen! I am not yet a member. That's a bummer, I wish I had known sooner!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I did not know that. I love that you are saving websites and looking to the future of your professional development. I wanted to thank you for your sites and research into anti-bias. My question is, what type of bias do you see the most in your school? Color, special needs, race, religion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I am blessed to be currently operating my own home based child care. When I was in a classroom the worst bias I experienced was in regard to a child with special needs. Because She had Rett syndrome, and was rather severely disable, my principal and several other teachers thought she should not be in a mainstream classroom. Unfortunately for them, it is not their decision. So, rather than do what they knew to be best for her, they focused selfishly on making life easier for the teacher. My principal created a plan where she would be enrolled in all three of the grade level classrooms for 1/3 of the year so that no one teacher had her as a burden the whole year. I did not view her as a burden, and I was disgusted by the attitudes of my colleague so I voluntarily took her for the whole year so that she would not have to suffer in a room with a teacher that did not want her there. I also was given most of the ESL students because my attitude toward them shined in opposition to one of my cooworkers who was passively racist and overall a negative, miserable human being.

      Delete